Friday, November 27, 2009

birth of this blog


i was born the day after thanksgiving. my mom likes to joke that all the food she ate pushed me out. i needed to go. i had had a lot to eat.

eating and transforming food have continued to be themes in my life, including a digestive disorder diagnosis called ulcerative colitis 5 years ago and my subsequent search for new ways to eat. a search that turned into an obsession with fermented and sprouted foods.

and then there’s the holiday itself: thanksgiving. i love thanksgiving; a day completely dedicated to food and storytelling, at least in my family, because there was always plenty of drinking, too, and that meant storytelling.

but then there’s the story behind thanksgiving: the pilgrims giving thanks to the native indians for helping them live on this land. and the respect for this land the native indians had—the respect we’re all searching for to help us transform how we live here now.

these are the ideas behind late november.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! The power of food! A very exciting journey. I am excited to be catching a glimpse into your obsession(s) and your observations/reflections as it seems to be a close relative to some of my own obsession(s) with the science of cooking (from making beer to the chemical and biological reactions that occur in baking, roasting, grilling, etc.).

    ReplyDelete